Clarissa Johal: Thoughtful Thursday-The V-Word #vegetarian

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday-The V-Word #vegetarian

Photo courtesy of epSos .de via Flickr
...and no, it's not what you're thinking. Naughty.

Two things happened this week that led to this post. I don't usually blah, blah about being a vegetarian because seriously, who cares? But for lack of anything else to write about today...

The first was at the grocery store. The check-out person noticed my wacky food and tofu products and asked me about them. Here's how the conversation went.

"Are you one of those...you know...vegetarians?"
"I am."
"Yeah? What do you eat?"
"Everything but meat and fish."
"Don't you get hungry?"
"I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years or so. I haven't starved yet."
"I don't eat much meat. Maybe four or five times a week. Sorry, I can't help myself."
"Um...okay."

We chatted a little longer before I thanked him for my groceries and left. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had like this. Seriously. Usually, it ends with the person making apologies for eating meat. It's weird.

The other thing that happened this week was a nasty Twitter argument that erupted (in my feed) between a hard core vegetarian and a meat eater. *sigh* Seriously people. See #9 in the "10 Don't's of Twitter."

I'm going to chat a bit about being a vegetarian. And relax, I won't be standing on a soap box. Heights are scary.
I like to say that I'm a Functional Vegetarian. One of my daughters eats chicken and fish, the other eats only fish, and my husband eats everything. And it doesn't bother me a bit. Everyone makes their own choices. You know what bothers me? Preachy Vegetarians. You know what I mean. "Don't eat meat! Eat organic! GMOs are bad!" But everyone has an opinion and this is mine:

There are many different people in the world. I've lived in several countries and experienced many cultures. When I was a kid, it wasn't uncommon to be offered caribou, moose or bear in one place we lived. Further north, that varied to include seal and whale. That's what was available. Fruits and vegetables were extremely pricey and scarce.
I now live in an area where I can choose to be a vegetarian. This is a huge privilege. Organic foods are also a choice--an expensive one. And GMOs? There are people starving in the world and technology can help. You don't have to like it but I'm willing to bet you have the choice not to purchase. There are people that don't. Here's their choice: Crops resistant to insects and disease vs...nothing.

I share vegetarian recipes here on #Meatless Monday because that's how I roll. If you like the recipes--awesome. If you want to adjust them to fit your tastes--also awesome. To the hardcore vegetarians that feel the need to condemn others for their choices--mind your own beeswax. You won't get people to understand where you're coming from by preaching on your soapbox. Ditto for condemning people for their religion, sexual preference or anything else that floats their boat.

I'm going to end this post on a silly note because you can't take life too seriously. 
Have a great Thursday



No comments: