Clarissa Johal: #MeatlessMonday-Butternut Squash Muffins #dessert

Monday, August 25, 2014

#MeatlessMonday-Butternut Squash Muffins #dessert

Summer break is officially over--my oldest starts high school today. With my other daughter in middle school, I'll be shuttling my kiddos between two different schools. It should be quite chaotic! BUT it means I'll be getting back to working on THE ISLAND with plans to finish by December. That's the plan and I'm sticking to it.

Photo courtesy of trpnblies7 via Flickr
So, fall is just around the corner (she said stubbornly) which means there will be lots of squash and pumpkin around. Both are great vegetables for hiding...I mean using in recipes if you have veggie hating teens like I do. Here's a great recipe for breakfast on the run. You can easily substitute pumpkin for the butternut squash if you'd prefer. Enjoy!


Butternut Squash Muffins

1/4 pound of peeled, seeded, and cubed butternut squash

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/3 cup plain yoghurt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil 

Boil squash for about 20 minutes until tender. Puree--you should get about 1 cup of pureed squash.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices
Mix squash, milk, egg and oil and fold into dry ingredients 
Fill lined muffins tins 3/4 full

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes
Makes 12 muffins

2 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Ooh, those muffins look good! I have homemade pumpkin ones all the time, but don't think I've ever tried a butternut squash version...

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

The taste is a little lighter than pumpkin, Heather!