Clarissa Johal: #MeatlessMonday-Thai Butternut Squash Soup & Peanut Butter Banana Oat Milkshake #vegetarian

Monday, August 11, 2014

#MeatlessMonday-Thai Butternut Squash Soup & Peanut Butter Banana Oat Milkshake #vegetarian

I had my wisdom tooth out last Friday and everything went well. I skipped Frightening Friday and spared you the gory details because I was playing Skyrim all day. You know, important "post wisdom tooth removal" stuff.

So, I'm still on "soft foods" per my dentist's orders. I hadn't realized how much of my diet is in the "crunchy food" category until now. Raw carrots, red peppers, almonds, pumpkin seeds...sigh. I've been told I can have mashed potatoes, pasta, Jello, which is yucky because I really don't like any of those things.

When I was trying to find healthy recipes that go beyond the mushy food group, I was reminded of my pregnancy days. I experienced morning sickness 24/7 for about 8 months during both my pregnancies. Yay me. There was a period around 2AM where I could eat without seeing it again. During the day, I walked continuously because it made me feel better and tried to nibble. Good times. But it was worth it--both my girls are the light of my life.

This milkshake was my mainstay back then. And since nausea isn't the issue now, I'm living off soup as well. The soup recipe is a new one. I've tweaked and adjusted to fit my tastes and it's really good.
Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Banana Oat Milkshake

1-1/2 cups milk
1 banana
2T peanut butter
1/4 cup oats

Blend with ice cubes. Serves 2


Thai Butternut Squash Soup

1T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 piece fresh ginger (1 to 2 inches), peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1T red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
1 can (14.5 ounces) light coconut milk
4 cups vegetable broth
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp pepper
3T lime juice
1/3 cup peanut butter

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and curry paste and cook for 1 minute.

2. Add coconut milk and vegetable broth; stir well. Add squash, salt, chili garlic sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender.

3. Puree soup until smooth. Stir in lime juice and peanut butter.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's always best to ask your dentist after such a procedure for what type of food to eat and avoid. That way, you won't have any complications while recovering. So as long as you don't disobey the dentist's orders, you'll be back to eating your favorites in no time! So, just stick to milkshakes and smoothies for a while. Take care!

Bettye Primm @ Back Mountain Dental

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Agreed, Bettye! Thanks for stopping by and for the well-wishes. I've healed pretty quickly :)