Feeling snarky today. Uh-oh.
Thought I'd take a stab at my list of Don'ts regarding Twitter. It's a small list. See if you agree.
1. Don't send a direct message with something like, "Thanks for the follow. Like my FB page!"
Can I get to know you first? An important tip for authors--the "liking?" That usually comes after someone has read your books (or if they know and support you). Not before and not when you've just met them. It's worse when an author sends a DM like this to another author. Hey, here's an idea--how about you like my FB page?
2. Don't try and pick someone up on Twitter and don't send naked pictures of yourself. That goes for Facebook, Google Plus, LinkedIn, pretty much anywhere on the internet. Tacky as hell.
3. Don't over hashtag or @. It's annoying. Tweeting something like:
"#Like #vampires #romance #action #scifi #medical #thriller #memoir? #Buy my #awesome #book @bestwriterever @amazon #like my #FBpage."
Sorry, You left me at #romance and my mind wandered.
4. Don't ignore people that mention you. It's rude. Would you do that in a face-to-face conversation? Hopefully not. But maybe you're just socially inept and need to get off your computer.
5. Pay it forward. I retweet if somebody retweets my stuff. It's polite. For the people that don't, I always wonder what their relationships are like. Ditto for what goes on in the bedroom. Yeah, I'm kind of twisted like that. Sue me.
6. Don't announce how many people you Followed or Unfollowed. Seriously, who the #*%* cares? Ditto for what you ate for breakfast. Unless you're clever about it.
7. PLEASE pin a tweet to the top of your page if you want a decent retweet. If I'm returning a retweeting favor, don't make me go through your feed for something relevant. I don't have the time.
8. Be mindful of the profile picture you post. Selfies in the bathroom, duck faces and boob shots make me think twice about following you. They also make me wonder what you're selling.
9. Don't starts fights or get personal. In fact, here's a Golden Rule: Say nothing online that you wouldn't say face to face. Don't be a coward and hide behind your computer. There's this weird thing called a reputation. Just because you're online, doesn't mean you don't get one if you act like an a%%..
10. Maybe it's a writer thing but please spell check your tweets. Please. It makes you look oh-so-much smarter if you can spell correctly and manage a sentence.
Now...go tweet something. Or better yet, go outside and enjoy the day.