Clarissa Johal: #MeatlessMonday - Quinoa Turnip Cakes with Spicy Yogurt Sauce #vegetarian #recipe

Monday, April 11, 2016

#MeatlessMonday - Quinoa Turnip Cakes with Spicy Yogurt Sauce #vegetarian #recipe

Photo courtesy of Greg Hirson via Flickr
Several weeks ago, my daughter and I were at the farmers market. She was adding more plants to her already thriving collection (it figures I'd spawn someone with a green thumb when mine is shriveled and black) while I was trying to figure out what to inflict on my family for dinner.  While she suffered over whether to buy Plant #1 or Plant #2, I perused the vegetables and kept coming back to a beautiful display of turnips. Don't laugh, they were beautiful. When I see turnips in the grocery store, they look like they've been sitting in the vegetable section since the dawn of time. Perhaps they have. Regardless, I decided to buy a couple, though I had no idea what I'd do with them. I knew my teens wouldn't touch turnips on a dare. My husband isn't a fan of vegetables, though he humors me from time to time. The last time I had a turnip...I don't even remember the last time I had a turnip.
Well, I hate to admit it, but up until last night...they were still sitting in the fridge. Here's what I came up with and it's not a bad recipe! Enjoy!

Spicy Yogurt Sauce

1 container (6 oz) plain low-fat yogurt
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients and store in refrigerator for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.

Quinoa Cakes

4 turnips
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped basil
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped

Directions

Peel and cut turnips into small cubes. Boil until soft. Drain. Mash with a potato masher.
In a large bowl, mix turnips and other ingredients together. Form into 5-6 patties.

There are two ways you can cook these--your choice: 

1) Coat a nonstick pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook the patties 4-5 minutes on each side until lightly browned and cooked through.

OR 

2) Line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Spray tinfoil lightly with cooking spray. Place the patties on the lined baking sheet and cook at 400F for about 10 minutes on each side.

Top quinoa cakes with spicy yogurt sauce and serve.

No comments: