Clarissa Johal: Thoughtful Thursday - Church for Sale

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday - Church for Sale

Photo reposted from Smithsgore
My husband came across this church for sale last weekend. It's no longer used as a church, so for £70,000, you can own a grade II property north of Yorkshire Dales and turn it into whatever you wish.

Knowing how much I love this particular area of England, my husband "jokingly" asked if we should buy it and move. He's a British citizen and I've mentioned (more than once) if he were to ever considered moving back, he'd hear no protests from me.

Usually, I find churches contain too much residual energy to consider living in one. And while I'm not particularly religious, the thought of turning a church into residential property seems disrespectful. But this one calls to me. Why? Because I'm working on a novel with an abandoned church as a key component. It's located in a pasture just like this one...in the heart of Yorkshire Dales. My husband didn't know that, by the way.  He knows I'm working on a new book, but I never tell him details until the book is "done." So literally, it's as if someone plucked the church from my brain and put it up for sale. Coincidence? Most likely.

I have to say however, the place intrigues me.

3 comments:

Carol Browne said...

That church is your mirror. I don't believe in coincidence. And that part of the UK is lovely.

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

I like that analogy!

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, what an uncanny coincidence!