Clarissa Johal: #Paranormal Wednesday - Strays from the Spirit World

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

#Paranormal Wednesday - Strays from the Spirit World

I’ve always been a half-way house for every stray animal that roams the neighborhood. There was a time, before kids and my husband, that I housed no less than twenty cats. Sad, but true. The downtown area I lived had a huge stray problem and for some reason, they always ended up on my back porch. I worked hard to assure they had proper veterinary care, and yes, it helped that I was in the veterinary field.

Nowadays, with my kiddos and husband, I seem to get less strays coming my way. Different neighborhood, I suppose, but we do get them. There’s the four pound cat that followed my husband to his car after work, a goldfish with a defective swim-bladder that needed to be hand fed, freshwater crabs that came to us as ex-classroom pets, a dog that had been chained in someone’s back yard for years and hadn't the slightest idea of what “inside” meant, an iguana that had broken every bone in her body because she was fed iceberg lettuce for years, the list goes on.

But what about attracting strays when it comes to writing? Is that possible? I've talked before how my paranormal novel BETWEEN came to me. I was working on my fantasy series when I was hit by two characters that didn't belong. Though I kept setting them aside, they wouldn't leave me alone and seemed determined that I write their story. Which I did. In retrospect, the novel came “out of the blue.”

This gives me pause for thought. Can writers attract “strays” when it comes to the spirit world? Is that possible? We’re open to ideas and thoughts and commit them on paper. Given that there are probably many people in history with stories to tell, would it not make sense that the spirit world would take advantage of that? I guess we’ll never know but it’s certainly up for debate.


2 comments:

Carol Browne said...

This has also occurred to me and I believe you could be right.

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Glad I wasn't the only author that thought of this!