Clarissa Johal: Thoughtful Thursday-The Writing Bug

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday-The Writing Bug

My daughter has caught the writing bug. I swear I didn't write in her general direction or leave my writing around for her to catch. Perhaps it was unavoidable, for we share the same house. She sits in the corner for hours, typing away, a look of intense concentration on her face. Those that see fit to bother her, run the risk of being incinerated by lasers shooting from her eyes. Okay, maybe I jest about that. Maybe.

While I can only work on one book at a time, she boasts that she's working on no less than 14 books right now. According to her, she goes from book to book, depending on her mood. Show off. If I tried to do that, not only would my characters have a hissy-fit, but they would become hopelessly tangled like a ball of string. One book at a time, thank you very much.

Sometimes, my daughter and I bounce ideas off each other. It's interesting to hear her thoughts and what input she offers to my own. Invaluable, in fact. Last week, I hit a wall with the book I'm working on. Try as I might, my characters remained tight-lipped about what they planned to do next. Usually, I wait until they begin speaking to me again--in the shower or the middle of the night when I'm sleeping. You know, an opportune time. This time however, I decided to talk to Miss 14 Books and see what she thought. It took exactly five minutes to break my wall down to rubble. Take that, characters. I know exactly what happens next and I don't have to wait for you tell me. Guess I don't feel so bad about sharing my writing bug after all.

Now, if only I could manage 14 books at a time...

No comments: