Clarissa Johal: #Paranormal Wednesday-Giving

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

#Paranormal Wednesday-Giving

Today's post isn't paranormal in nature, at least not the way you're thinking. But technically, it is. One definition of paranormal is, "out of the realm of normal" which means this applies.

My daughter's high school requires students to volunteer 20 hours per year towards an organization or project of their choice. We've just learned thishalf-way into the school year. And yes, it's because I haven't quite gotten my, "I have a child teenager in high school" sh%t together. But I'm all about philanthropy. The fact that the time commitment (which isn't much) caught me off-guard forced me to do some soul searching. Are my kids aware of community needs? (and) We volunteer from time-to-time, but do we need to make more of an effort?

Sort of, and yes.

So, we're starting a new tradition in my household. Each month, we're going to volunteer for something. We'll rotate who gets to choose what. It sounds easy but in the teen world of, "I'm too busy" it may be a bigger challenge than I anticipate.  But I want to make the effort. I want to raise my children teens to look beyond themselveswhich means I lead by example. It should be an eye-opening year.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

No comments: