Clarissa Johal: Frightening Friday-Adventures in Hair Color

Friday, November 14, 2014

Frightening Friday-Adventures in Hair Color

I've always been a do-it-yourself person when it comes to hair color. Yes, yes, I know that makes hair stylists everywhere cringe. Rant away. I have two teenage girls and can't afford to spend $80 every month to get my hair done.

Usually, I'm good at a quick root retouch with a non-permanent dye. No fuss, no muss; $7 and 20 minutes. But this time, I decided to do something different. I was feeling adventurous and kind of...red. I like red. I used to have red hair when I was very little and it darkened to brown. Dark red seemed like a nice choice.

I went to the store and took no less than a half hour to choose the perfect shade of red. But when I finally settled on the one, I was happy with my choice.


< I bought this

After mixing A with B, the dye was the color of an orange Creamsicle. Gee, that wasn't alarming at all. I saturated my hair and waited in breathless anticipation-praying to the color Goddesses that the finished result wouldn't be some sick chemist's joke. The color once it was done?

Screaming red.


Kind of like this >

Which would have been fine--except it only took at the roots. About 2 inches of roots. Yay me.
I looked it up. My "oops" had a technical term--hot roots--which is exactly what it looked like.

I played around with bright hair color in the 80's when I had a mohawk. Green, pink, purple, bright red, I did them all. Cool when you're a 20-something college student, not so much now. But, it is what it is, and I take things as they come. My thoughts after I blow dried my hair? Yeah sure, I can rock this.

That afternoon, I went out shopping with my daughters. While one of them was trying on some clothes, I caught my reflection in the store mirror.

Oh, hell no.

The next day I bought a semi-permanent dye. Loreal "Healthy Look" in Dark Brown. I figured it would mellow out the red--kind of like mixing paint, you know? I held my breath for 20 minutes...and yes, it worked. It's about the color of the first photo now. Eventually, after 28 shampoos (so says the box) it will wash out.
But for now, it is what it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ugh - what a nightmare.

The last time I colored my hair at home was about 2 years ago. My hair is dark brown with awesome highlights in a nice shade of gray...yep, you read that right - gray. I'm much to young to be rockin' that shade but my hubby loves it...so anyhoo....I decided to use a color similar to the top color you chose. I even used one that proudly proclaimed to cover all gray evenly blah, blah, blah.

I mixed the pretty color and slathered it on my long hair, clipped it up, and proceeded to clean the house for my allotted time period.

When the time came to rinse and dry, I was horrified. My gray turned an awesome shade of purple and my dark brown turned turned the correct shade of burgundy. Please note that I don't particularly enjoy purple, it looked dumb with the burgundy, and if I remembered correctly when I asked a hair color professional how the color would affect my multi-colored tresses she said "your gray will will most likely turn into a more intense shade of red." She was wrong and a 37 year woman that works in a pretty professional environment really shouldn't wander around with purple hair.

I haven't colored my hair since. I just convince myself that the gray locks are blonde highlights - occasionally I actually believe it.

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Don't you love it? The crazy things we do... Glad I'm not the only one, though. :) We could have started our own band or something

Anonymous said...

I tried a home bleaching kit on my hair a few years ago - it looked like straw....awful!

A band would have been cool :)