Clarissa Johal: The Next Big Thing

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Next Big Thing



 Thank you to my fellow writer Joanna Fay, author of the dark fantasy Daughter of Hope,  for tagging me in The Next Big Thing. The game here is that writers answer a string of questions about their work, describing what will be their Next Big Thing and then tag five other writers. Those writers answer the same questions and tag other writers. So here goes:

What is the working title of your next book? 
STRUCK

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I had a scene replay in my head, over and over.  As soon as I wrote that scene down, the rest came like a literal lightning strike.

What genre does the book fall under?
Paranormal horror

What actors would you choose to play the parts of your characters in a movie rendition?
I never think in terms of actors or actresses. I know what the characters look like, they look like themselves. That's not to say I wouldn't like my novels to be made into movies, because I most definitely would!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I hate summing up my book in one sentence! Okay, here goes:
A woman who is struck by lightning is rescued by a mysterious stranger who offers her a gift...but one that comes with a price she is unsure of. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I'll start seeking a publisher by March of this year. That's when I hope to be finished.

How long did it take to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It took me four months to complete the first draft

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I can't really compare my book to others. If I were to pick authors in my genre that I admire, they would be Neil Gaimen and Brom.  I read voraciously but I try and stay away from my genre while I'm writing, which is 99% of the time. I want my ideas to be unique and fresh and if I read too many paranormal novels, I find that doesn't happen for me.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Like I said, the book grew from the one scene I kept envisioning. As far as the "who" goes, I saw this painting that I kind of fell in love with.  I ended up having dreams about the person that was in it. I knew that that's what my antagonist would look like.

What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
Follow this link to Lichtenberg figures. That's all I'm going to say.


Now for the tagging! I really didn't know whom to tag, so I picked on a handful that have made comments or that I've received emails from recently. If you're in edits or busy, please don't feel obligated! 
I'll even tag a few extra in case those writers are busy:


10 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Oh, STUCK has definitely peaked my interest, Clarissa. Looking forward to it.


I actually did a Next Big Thing lot long ago. Here's the link:
http://tinyurl.com/eleni-nextbigthing

Rita Monette, Writer said...

Those images of lightning strikes were eerily strange. Sounds like a great book. Good luck with it.

Heather R. Holden said...

I hate trying to sum up my projects in one sentence, too, but I think you did a fantastic job for Struck. I can't help but wonder what the gift is, or what price that gift has! And wow, it only took you four months to complete the first draft? Impressive!

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Thanks Eleni and Rita! I think it must be every writer's nightmare, Heather. Kind of like your character limit on Twitter, haha. Thank you!

Joanna Fay said...

Good luck with finishing Struck and finding a good 'home' for it...I'm sure that will happen with ease!

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Thanks Joanna! Now go to bed!! :)

Anonymous said...

It was so sweet of you to tag me, Clarissa! I think I'll do an extra post this week so I can participate. Your book sounds super intriguing - I hope Musa takes it on so I can line edit!

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Thanks Brianna! Looking forward to your post!

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Clarissa. Thanks for thinking of me. Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy in my writer's cave. Can you tell? Lol. I'm not out yet. I'm trying to complete my second draft of my third novel as soon as possible.
I have done this one already, but it was a while ago. If I get a chance, I will participate.
Have a great weekend!

-Jimmy

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

I completely understand, James. Glad you're in your writer's cave. :) Stuff like this is only for those "breathers" lol. Have a great week-end.