Clarissa Johal: Guest Blogger Friday

Friday, June 22, 2012

Guest Blogger Friday



I'd like to introduce to you Marci Boudreaux, a fellow author and editor with Musa Publishing. She will be sharing the video trailer to her new novel, Unforgettable You and answering a few questions. Enjoy!


Video trailer to Unforgettable You by Marci Boudreaux
Coming November 23 from Musa Publishing 

 
Desperate to keep her ailing mother-in-law, Doreen, in the woman's family home, Carrie Gable has agreed to board a handful of Hollywood's most elite actors at the manor which is now a bed and breakfast. Despite her resentment of the demands being placed upon her, she can't help but be taken in by actor Will Walker.

Will, in a last ditch effort to save his failing career, has agreed to a project he has no interest in. The more time he spends with his egotistical co-stars, the more drawn he is their hostess. Long nights spent talking with Carrie about the paths their lives have taken make him realize he'd rather have a simpler life, but his ties to L.A. aren't quite as willing to let him go.

With the temptation of stardom pulling Will in one direction and the obligation to care for Doreen tugging Carrie in another, the couple struggle to find middle ground and the happiness they were missing until finding each other.

***

Where did the idea of Unforgettable You come from?

Unforgettable You was initially going to focus on the relationship between Carrie Gable and her mother-in-law, Doreen.  I wanted to write about a relationship I had never explored before.  Carrie, after the death of her husband, is left to care for his mother who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s after his death.  In doing so, she realizes that Doreen has blown all the money that had been set aside to care for her in her retirement.  Carrie becomes desperate to keep her in her home, she agrees to take on a group of A-list actors while they are filming in town.
 
This brings Will Walker into the picture and the book immediately becomes a romance. I can’t help it.  No matter how my books start, someone is going to end up falling in love.


How long did Unforgettable You take to write?

It took me over a year to finish this manuscript, but I had several things going on as I wrote this book.  I was still in school full-time, working as a book editor, writing for several local magazines, and being wife and mom. After it was done and before my final edits, I sold a manuscript under my pen name, Emilia Mancini, so had to focus on that for a while.  My hands were full! 


What one thing do you always have in your refrigerator?

Right now, Lunchables.  The kids are on summer break and in order for me to be able to stay home with them, I put in a lot of hours freelancing.  But, part of that means there are some  days when I don’t have ability to take a break right when they decide they are hungry, so I can tell them to grab a Lunchable and everyone is happy.


Who would you want to be stranded on a tropical island with and why?

My husband.  We don’t get to see nearly enough of each other these days. 


Do you have any advice for other writers out there that may be just beginning their career?

Really do your homework on the publishing company you are signing with.  Just because they offer you a contract, doesn’t mean they are a good fit for you.  I have learned so much working with Musa, as an editor and a writer.  Things that I had never thought of, never considered important, or never realized that I could do. I so appreciate every person I’m working with, on the administrative side and other authors.  The people within this publishing house really look out for each other, that makes it a great fit for me.  


What does your family think of your writing career?

My husband is so incredibly supportive, he always has been. Now that I have publications under my belt, he is constantly telling people to go download my books.  I think he’d make a great agent!  I’m not sure I’d have the courage to actually throw myself out there if he weren’t cheering me on. 

It hasn’t always been like that though.  When you say you want to be a writer people tend to smile and say things like, ‘Oh, that’s nice,’ in a way  that comes across as very condescending, perhaps not intentionally, but it’s there. I used to get that a lot and I let it hold me back, even derail me completely for a while.  It seems like no one believes you have the talent or ability to follow through when you tell them that’s what you want to do.  That makes it hard because it is such a brutal feeling to get rejected and you really need the support of people pushing you forward to try again. 

***

 Look for Unforgettable You. Coming November 23 from Musa Publishing  



No comments: