Clarissa Johal: #Frightening Friday-What's Under the Bed

Friday, May 23, 2014

#Frightening Friday-What's Under the Bed

Scene from The Unborn also known as The Mother (2003)
You're trying to sleep, when suddenly you have the feeling that someone...or something is under the bed. Have you experienced that? Try as you might, the feeling won't go away. Your heart pounds in your chest and sweat breaks across your brow. That's silly, you tell yourself. You're a grown-up after all. Only children are afraid of what's under the bed. You close your eyes and try to block out the uncomfortable feeling.
But it lingers. And lingers.
Wait! Did the bed just shake? Was that a whisper? Did something just tug on the corner of the sheet? You can't sleep until you check of course. You sit up and quietly swing your feet over the edge, drop to the floor...and you look.

Movies such as Mama, Ju-on: The Grudge, and even Poltergeist (clowns, why does it always have to be clowns?) all indulge our "what's under the bed?" fears. When I was a kid, I remember stuffing as much junk as I possibly could under my bed, just so there would be no room for anything to hide. Did it work? No, I was still scared. Because, as you know, monsters can fit into very small spaces.

For your viewing pleasure on Frightening Friday, I thought I'd share some movie scenes with you.
Enjoy, and sleep well tonight. *;) winking

Mama (2013)


Ju-on: The Grudge (2002) Technically, this takes place "over" the bed, but it still applies


and Poltergeist (1982) Though the movie is a bit dated, this is still a great scene.


2 comments:

Carol Browne said...

I don't have to worry about this. I sleep on a mattress on the floor. Nothing under my bed but the carpet lol!

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

Futons would be a definite plus in this situation! I had one all through college, lol