Clarissa Johal: #Paranormal Wednesday - #Ghost Hunting Equipment

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

#Paranormal Wednesday - #Ghost Hunting Equipment

I watch a lot of ghost hunting shows before bed because (oddly) I find them relaxing. I know, I know. My teens think it's a bit weird but c'est la vie, it chases them off to bed and I get the television to myself. There are many shows to choose from, both reruns and newer ones. I judge them with a critical eye because sometimes, I feel the entertainment factor outweighs the genuine goal to gather "evidence." That said, and on my watch list for different reasons; Dead Files (all ghosts are bad and freaky as f*&k), Ghost Adventures (all ghosts are demonic), Kindred Spirits (ghosts are probably people you knew and just trying to get your attention), and Tennessee Wraith Chasers (bring on the ghosts 'cause we have special equipment we made ourselves). I miss Ghost Hunters International and Ghost Hunters, two of my favorites. The investigators were low-key with little drama, which would be my approach.

Most of these shows use equipment, save for Dead Files that utilizes a medium, and some of the equipment gets pretty darned complicated. Personally, if I was going "ghost hunting" the less equipment the better. I'm not technologically inclined and would probably break something.
However, if you're interested in the equipment side of ghost hunting, here's a rundown of the basics and not-so-basics. I won't try and explain the science behind these tools, simply because it's complex, debatable, and I'm not a scientist. I will, however, give my opinion because I've observed paranormal teams (in person and on television) use/misuse the same equipment with different results.
Ready? Here we go:

POV or General Camcorder: This camcorder is full spectrum and able to "see" in complete darkness. It is used to capture shadows and other disturbances when nobody is present in the room.
My opinion: Can't argue with visuals as long as the team is completely out of the field of vision.

3D Mapping Camera or Kinect: This piece of equipment is used to give shape to a spirit’s energy, which shows as a visible stick figure on camera.
My opinion: I don't know enough about the specifics of how this works but it's fascinating to see a stick figure show up and respond to questions.

K2 - EMF Meter: Easy-to-use tool that detects spikes in electromagnetic energy. A normal room will register between 0mg and 1.5mg while a room inhabited by ghosts will read between 1.5mg and 8mg.
My opinion:  If the room has other electrical disturbances (wiring issues or household appliances) these may cause the readings to be higher than normal.

EVP - Digital Voice Recorder: Generally used to record questions directed towards paranormal spirits. The recording is then played back in the hope that what the human ear was unable to detect were recorded.
My opinion: I've seen this used in a way where voices are clear as a bell. I've also heard playback wherein random noises in no way sound like words. Example: (Playback) "Pfft."  (Investigator) "Did you hear that? It growled and said, "I'm a demon!"" You get it.

Spirit Box: This tool is used for attempting communication with paranormal entities. It uses radio frequency sweeps to generate white noise which supposedly gives entities the energy they need to be heard. When this occurs, the user can hear sounds and voices coming through the static.
My opinion: I hate this piece of equipment. It's so noisy, plus I feel (in most cases) it picks up random radio words which can be interpreted any way that fits into the equation.

Thermal Imaging Camera:  A "point and shoot" tool used to record temperature changes in the environment. This tool enables the user to easily differentiate between hotspots (usually human) and cold spots (possible ghosts) in a room.
My opinion: Electrical and environmental factors would need to be monitored very carefully in order to rely on this piece of equipment.

REM Pod: Uses a mini telescopic antenna to radiate its own independent magnetic field around the instrument itself. Any shifts in temperature or electrical energy approaching these stationary pods will cause the LED lights to go on/off and an alarm.
My opinion: Probably my favorite instrument if I had to pick one. It seems to have consistent results--especially if the paranormal researcher utilizes them to ask yes/no questions.

Laser Grid: This high powered laser emits a grid of green dots useful for detecting shadows or visual disturbances. It is set in front of a running camera to catch potential evidence. Any solid object or mist will disturb the laser beams.
My opinion: Again, can't argue with visual evidence.

Boo Buddy: Used to communicate with child spirits. This piece of equipment, which looks like a teddy bear, asks questions in order to trigger a response. It detects changes in EMF, temperature, movement, and vibration and responds to those changes in a kid-friendly voice.
My opinion: As long as the paranormal team stays out of the bear's field, I see this as being a solid data gathering tool.

Ovilus: This piece of equipment converts environmental readings into words to enable communication with paranormal spirits.
My opinion: The words can either be spot-on regarding the questions asked, or interpreted way off-base, much like the EVP recorder and Spirit Box.

Overwhelmed? There are many more devices and the cost can sky-rocket. I don't endorse any of these (linked) products but wanted you to get an idea of the cost and what they looked like. If you're inclined to purchase, please do your research. If you use the instruments, again, do your research on the proper way to do so. There are many investigative teams who gather solid evidence but just as many who seem to let their imaginations go wild.
Me? I'll rely on my sixth sense and the blessing of silence. I expect the ghosts will come to me and make their presence known, no equipment needed.

No comments: