Clarissa Johal: ‪#‎WeAreNotThis‬

Friday, March 25, 2016

‪#‎WeAreNotThis‬

I've lived in a lot of places in my lifetime--currently, I live in North Carolina. I'm sad to say we're in the news for something that really should be a non-issue by 2016. Rarely, do I get political in my blog, but this is a huge step backwards and it's worth some blog space.

In a nutshell:

North Carolina House passed a bill (HB2) that blocks any local government in North Carolina from passing an ordinance allowing transgender people to use the restroom aligned with their gender identity. This would mean, any transgender person would be required to use the restroom of their gender assigned at birth, even if they outwardly align with the opposite gender. Male to female transgendered people who outwardly appear and align with the female gender, would be required to utilize the men's restroom. And vice versa. The bill directs all public schools, government agencies and public college campuses to require bathrooms or locker rooms be designated for use only by people based on their birth gender.

This isn't "just" about restrooms, so let's not kid ourselves. It's a human rights issue. Equal rights is non-negotiable. I'm proud to stand against discrimination. I'm an ‪#‎LGBTQAlly‬ and always have been.

Feel like doing something?

Hashtag your tweets #‎WeAreNotThis‬ to raise awareness.

Sign the Change.org Petition

Sign the Equality NC Petition

Check Out #IllGoWithYou  (I ordered my button today)



No comments: