Clarissa Johal: Thoughtful Thursday - And then...the bunnies came

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday - And then...the bunnies came

Photo-Wildlife Rescue
One of the wild baby bunnies 
I helped rehab/release in 2011. 
We have bunnies in our neighborhood. Lots of them. Not that I mind, but it does make driving a challenge. Between the bunnies and the squirrels, I feel like I'm playing pole position when I drive. Do they do it on purpose? I'll be driving along, minding my own beeswax, when "pow!" a bunny will dash out in front of me like a fuzzy streak of lightning. If I have a cup of hot coffee, there's a lot of cursing involved. If I don't...yeah, there's still cursing. Because I like bunnies. I like bunnies alive and fluffy, not flat as a pancake. I have yet to accidentally hit one--if I did, I'd be traumatized. But I swear, they do it on purpose. Squirrels do the same but they do this spazzy indecisive thing that drives me bonkers. I'll see them hesitating, weighing their options. "Big 1000 pound car vs. 1 pound me. Do I risk it? Am I feeling lucky today? No. Why, yes I am! No, I'm not. Screw it, whoo!!!"
At which point I'll slam on my brakes, causing my dog's leashes in the back seat to be propelled at 20 mph into my head...and again, there is cursing involved.

Damn bunnies. Damn squirrels. I know you do it on purpose.

No comments: