Clarissa Johal: Thoughtful Thursday-Do Angels Bite Their Nails?

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday-Do Angels Bite Their Nails?

The photos this week are my own. I had the stories in my head when I took them. Enjoy!


Do Angels Bite Their Nails?

The graveyard was still and silent.

"I don't know what to do." He wrung his hands fitfully. Then stop, his inner voice argued. Your time has passed.

Jumping over grave markers, she ran through the cemetery. She stayed in the shadows, dodging the dappled sunshine. Twirling in ecstasy, the young woman laughed up at the blue sky. Her attention was captured by a bouquet of white lilies. Plucking them from the gravestone's stone urn, she scattered the flowers across another marker.

Wild as she was, he couldn't deny a part of him hoped she'd never change. He chastised himself for his weakness. "Why did you do that?"

Her look of surprise was quickly replaced to one of defiance. "The other had the flowers long enough." Turning her back on him, she continued up the hill.

"Where are you going?"

"To the top of the hill."

"I can see that," he said, wringing his hands. "There's nothing up there."

"I'm up there," she replied. "Are you calling me nothing?"

He ignored her remark. "You're not supposed to be out, you know."

"They can't keep me trapped forever." She glanced back at him, a mischievous sparkle in her eye. "I know how to get out."

They stood next to each other and took in the view. The hill overlooked a pastoral valley dotted with trees. The slope dipped steeply and ran into shadows below.

"I'm going to run as fast as I can," her voice echoed.

He grabbed her arm. "No you're not."

"I am." She shook him off. "And you can't stop me."

He watched her tear down the hill. Faster and faster she ran until her feet couldn't keep up with her velocity. She tripped and tumbled, a tangle of red hair and hospital gown, until she landed in a broken heap. If he could have uttered a curse and gotten away with it, he would have.

She stepped away from her body before he could reach her. The sparkle was gone from her eyes. Ghostly traces of defiance trickled away like sunlight.

"I-I tried." His sense of failure weighed heavily upon his shoulders.

"You couldn't stop me then and you can't now," she said to him, her expression serious. "We need to stop doing this."

"I can't." He watched her body dissolve into nothingness.

***
The graveyard was still and silent.

"I don't know what to do." He wrung his hands fitfully. Then stop, his inner voice argued. Your time has passed.

Jumping over grave markers, she ran through the cemetery...


No comments: