Clarissa Johal: Destiny

Friday, January 10, 2014

Destiny

I've been away from my blog for awhile now. The holidays were quite busy, not to mention my kiddos were sick the whole time! I've also been working hard at finishing my edits for STRUCK and finishing up my next book VOICES so it can be submitted by the end of January. In other words, juggling life and work.
One major event that happened over the holidays, was that our dog started to have accidents in the house at night. That would be "major" for me since I'm usually the first one up--which meant I got to clean up! Thank goodness for wood floors. We've had Jasmine for ten years and this has never happened before. So, between kiddo trips to the doctor and the ER, getting my edits in on time, and trying to enjoy Christmas...Jasmine had to go to the vet. Fa-la-la.
I was crossing my fingers, hoping it wasn't her kidneys, which veterinarians really can't fix. We lucked out in a way, it turns out she is diabetic. Aside from an change in diet, we now poke her twice a day with insulin. Not a happy task, but it's made a world of difference in her quality of life (and the quality of my wood floors, haha).
So, I got to thinking. What would have happened if some other family would have adopted Jasmine? Would they have managed her diabetes? The insulin is quite expensive, as is the food. I can't imagine not going the distance on a pet, but I know that 20 years ago, there's no way I would have been able to afford to. Ten years ago, my husband "just happened" to hit the animal shelter minutes before Jasmine and her sister were scheduled for euthanasia. The sister ran away from him, but Jasmine...she gave my husband the benefit of the doubt. The shelter workers basically dumped her in my husband's arms--free of charge.

Doggie destiny. We got an awesome dog, Jasmine gets a family that can afford her insulin. Right place at the right time.

2 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Aww, how sad about your dog! As a diabetic myself, I know how challenging this disease can be, so I'm sorry it's something your pet has to live with now. Thank goodness she has a good home!

Clarissa Johal, Author said...

I didn't know that, Heather! Well, it could have been so much worse (with Jasmine)at least it can be managed. Thanks for stopping by, Heather. :)