Clarissa Johal: Frightening Friday-Collecting #Ouija

Friday, February 5, 2016

Frightening Friday-Collecting #Ouija

Photo courtesy of felinebird via Flickr
Mainstream religions (and some occultists) associate the use of Ouija boards with demonic possession, opening portals and an invitation to evil spirits.

I like Ouija boards. There. I said it--and my head didn't spin around or anything. I don't know when I became fascinated with them. I don't even remember where I acquired mine, but according to eBay, it's an antique. The last time I "played" with it was in high school. Our school theatre was reportedly haunted, as all good theatres are. One rumor was that a student had hung herself in the dressing room, another was that a student had slit her wrists in one of the bathrooms. When we asked the teachers for details, they were vague. The school was over a hundred-and-fifty years old and probably had many buried secrets. Regardless. When word got out I owned an Ouija board, well...sorry Mr. B, when you thought the cast of Midsummer Night's Dream was rehearsing, we were calling upon spirits of the dead in the dressing room.

Fast forward years later. Would I "play" with an Ouija board now? Probably not. While I don't feel the board itself is dangerous, the invitation may be. I'm still undecided on whether the board is a tool of divination or the subconscious at work. Regardless, I don't dabble. I collect paraphernalia because it holds a fascination. I have several T-shirts, necklaces, hair clips, a pair of socks, a business card holder, cellphone cover, wallet, mug, computer sleeve and even a pair of undies.

However, the Ouija board I used in high school is in the attic. My teens keep bugging me to dig it out. I'm reluctant. The board holds secrets. Secrets of what a bunch of high school kids contacted in that haunted theatre, years ago. Secrets of what should have stayed buried. Secrets that probably need to stay in the attic.


No comments: